Should you wish to terminate your electricity account, you must apply for disconnection of the supply and settle any amount due on the electricity account prior to its closure. You can contact any of our Customer Service Centres by quoting your Contract Account or Business Partner Number, as reference, and making your request in writing or calling in person. 

It is worth noting that the CEB will bear no liability on any account if an account holder vacates the aforesaid premises without ensuring that the account has been closed.
It is the responsibility of the account holder to ensure that the electricity account is to be closed when electricity service is no longer required.