CEB is currently the sole organisation responsible
for the transmission, distribution and supply of electricity to the population in Mauritius.

The CEB's business is to "prepare and carry out development schemes with the general object of promoting, coordinating and improving the generation, transmission, distribution and sale of electricity" in Mauritius. The CEB produces around 40% of the country's total power requirements from its 4 thermal power stations and 8 hydroelectric plants; the remaining 60% is purchased from Independent Power Producers. Currently, it is the sole organisation responsible for the transmission, distribution and supply of electricity to the population.
The CEB was constituted on the 8th of December 1952 in accordance with the provisions of the first Central Electricity Board Ordinance 1951. It took over the functions and assets of the individual electricity undertakings operated by the Department of Electricity and Telephones, and the Electric Generating Power Company.
At the time of Independence in 1968, the national rural electrification programme got under way. As the population increased and habitations cropped up all over the island, the CEB had to expand its networks to connect schools, water pumping stations, housing estates and allotments, as well as various industries.
As from the early 1970s, further network extensions took place to supply new sectors such as Tourism and Textile. By 1981, the national rural electrification programme was completed, with about 153 villages and housing estates connected to the grid.
Over the years, the CEB has set a proven record of providing reliable, safe and affordable electricity supply to the country through massive capital investments in new generation capacity and development of the electricity infrastructure. Today, Mauritius enjoys a more diversified economy, an extensive network of electricity supply facilities and the benefits of a stable and continuous electricity supply....